Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Sample Food

Many restaurants in Japan have a sample menu in a display case outside their shop.  Originally made out of wax, but now usually made of plastic, I recently learned the correct term is "sample food."  These samples are meant to entice customers.  When the samples are top notch, they really are enticing.  But often times, they are more offputting than tempting.  For those like me that can't read the menu, the samples are very helpful for determining the food choices when my personal translator isn't available.  I've always been too afraid to use Google Translate in a restaurant for fear of what it would tell me. 


Both Osaka and Tokyo have cooking streets, where shop after shop sell kitchen wares.  (I'm sure other cities have these dedicated streets as well.  I've just been to the ones in Osaka and Tokyo.)  Everyone from professional chefs to kitchen novices are welcome to shop here.  There really is something for everyone.  I am a huge fan of these streets and easily get lost in the wonderful stores.  You can find knives made by craftsmen (not machines) and amazing lacquerware for serving tea or special meals.  There are shops full of cheap plastic dishes and others featuring expensive fancy china.  Chopstick shops and Chinese steamer set shops can always be interesting to explore.  I also like to wander through the restaurant supply stores as there is always big things that make me smile.  There is always a sample food shop or two as well to delight the customers.


The sample food shops are so entertaining!  I personally love the displays with the fork/spoon/chopsticks hanging in midair with food dangling from them.  It's what we like to call the "action shot" food! 


The shops are interesting in part because they show lots of food that wouldn't actually be on display because it is so far fetched. 

The  tako (octopus) on display with the takoyaki
(octopus balls, a popular Osakan food)

After all, I've never seen a restaurant with over the top stacks of pancakes or layers of burgers, but the samples are in the shop. 


Most people don't need life-size food samples, so the shops sell lots of keychains and minitures as well.  I have given and been gifted more than my fair share of sample sushi.  It makes a great luggage ID tag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...