Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Fire!!!

Today was forecasted to be rainy.  Back in Seattle, I'd simply toss my kid into his Muddy Buddy and hit the road, but today I didn't want to subject myself to wet feet and feeling clammy on a train.  Instead we opted for the Fire Museum in Shinjuku.  I found a website that lists the "best tours and things to do with kids" and it was at the top.  It's free and guaranteed at least an hour of entertainment.  The museum plus the train ride and we would have enough entertainment to fill our morning, but still get back for lunch and a nap.

We got out of the apartment around 9, and quickly found our way to the museum.  I still find it a little nerve wracking to get onto very crowded trains, but I'm stressing about it less and less.

Although it is named "Fire Museum," it would be better to call it the "History of Firefighting in Japan Museum."  There are some (read limited) English translations throughout the museum, but I still learned a lot.  The museum had exhibits from the Edo Period (1603 - 1868) through present day firefighting.  I was very impressed with the exhibits from the Edo Period and Meiji Period (middle of the 19th century), while my son preferred the modern exhibits, as they were more interactive.  We both walked away smiling and happy that we spent 3 hours there! 






I'm feeling really distracted by the upcoming move.  I'm having a hard time "entertaining" my son as I focus on what needs to be done.  I'm overwhelmed with the "when we're settled" thoughts and not living in the moment really well.  So, the distraction of the museum was really nice.  I'm also applauding myself for purchasing Legos, as it has become his go-to toy.  Of course, the first time I step on one, I won't feel very enthusiastic about the purchase!  But in the meantime, I will enjoy them for the entertainment that they are.

I feel like the last few months of my life have been filled with a whole bunch of "hurry up and wait."  I'm fine with the hurry part, because I like to be busy and have things to accomplish.  I don't mind having lots of deadlines and many balls in the air.  I am a natural planner and I tend to get things done sooner rather than later.  I detest the last minute scramble to get things done.  It is the waiting that drives me crazy.  We found the place that we want to move into.   We've been approved to live there.  We went furniture and appliance shopping.  Now we wait.  We wait for the keys.  We wait for the final measurements before we can buy all the big ticket items that we need.  We wait.  And I'm getting restless.  I need a project.  But I feel like I can't start one until after we've moved.  Gah!  Road blocked again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...